links

 

Thursday, December 16, 2010

marketing shmarketing

as a musician, I hate music business. there I said it...
as someone that works on music's creative side it's very hard to treat it as a product.

however I suppose it is a necessary evil, and I am set out to concur it. What is the point of putting so much effort and funds in an album, if it's not going to reach as many ears as it should?

so, as I start writing out a detailed game plan on what to do, I realized I had some difficulties in pinning down my genre and target audience. as an artist it's a great thing; I've crossed a barrier, I'm outside the box!
as a marketing strategy, that's not good news.

one idea a book gave me was to ask friends and fans to answer a short survey about who they are, what kind of music they like, and how my music relates to them. I'm hoping to get a better idea as to what kind of people might respond well to my music, and where to find them and how to make it known to more of them.

if you'd like to fill out the survey yourself, I'd like nothing more! it takes 5 minutes and it's anonymous, so go for it.

click here for the survey

it seems that "recording" introverse is the fun part, and I will have to address the business side on the blog more often, since it is such a huge part of making a new release.

'til next time, happy season!

No comments:

Post a Comment