links

 

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Happy New Year of fantastic, meaningful music

Every new year's I think of resolutions. What do I want to achieve? How can I improve as a human? as a musician?

Musically speaking 2011 is basically mapped out for me, with the CD release my calendar is busy until the fall at least. With those plans behind me, I started thinking more about the current state of the music industry (and I hate that this art of ours is an industry...) and what the next year may look like for it.

I've been inspired by Arcade Fire, who pack Madison Square Garden without a record label, maintaining full control of all aspects of their art, and it shows in their music.
I resolved to go DIY (Do It Yourself). I've always written, arranged and performed my material, but I decided to be completely self sufficient with promotion, marketing and all logistics. It's hard for me, I'm a creative type and not so business savvy but I'm putting a lot of effort into this upcoming release in so many ways, good things are bound to come. They already have.

I am happy to have the opportunity to maintain full control of my vision and dedicate my time to making the best art that I can.

Finding out about those who put their art first, and reward them with our attention and support is what I hope our new year's resolution will be. DIY artist can't afford times square billboards and endless ads, and rely on buzz and word of mouth. They are found in blogs and indie mags and radio and their success depends on us being active about searching them out and passing them on.

Wouldn't it be amazing if next year was filled with a new "music first" generation? Isn't it time to find more quality, innovative music that has artistic integrity, and reward it over formulaic, tiresome and absurd gimmicks?

It's going to be a good year, I can feel it.

HAPPY 2011 !

No comments:

Post a Comment